8 ways to identify the best bike for your Leh Ladakh Bike Trip
Your riding companion is one of the most crucial factors when you decide to take a Leh Ladakh bike trip. Here’s a complete guide to help you choose the best bike for your Leh Ladakh road trip.
When it comes to travelling to Ladakh for a bike trip, the first thing that most of the tourists think of is which is the best bike suited for my journey. Which bike should I choose to make my journey more comfortable and enjoyable? The answer to this lies in the choices that you make in terms of the comfort level and the feel from the bike apart from just savvy looks.
Many of you may find Royal Enfield or Bullet as the best fit for the Leh Ladakh road trip. However, the choice is entirely yours whether you pick the most famous or the most suited. The bike that you select should be compatible and provide solutions from all the obstacles in the journey.
The roads of Ladakh are incredibly breathtaking and challenging, and your bike is your best and most trusted companion. So, it’s a must to know some factors while you embark on your bike ride to Leh Ladakh.
1. There is no such rule to hire the most expensive bike to travel for a Leh Ladakh road trip as long as you find comfort from your ride and it has the power to climb rocky patches and steep inclines. An uncomfortable bike can cause trouble and discomfort, making it difficult for you to ride the treacherous patches of the roads. A motorcycle with strong suspension helps in absorbing the jolts and bumps on the rides. Comfortable seating positions also helps in avoiding muscle cramps and soreness and provides a smooth riding experience.
2. Safety on the roads while travelling on the Leh Ladakh road trip is everyone’s first priority. A bike which provides impeccable safety is always preferred more over the bike with killer looks. So, before you finalize any bike, do check its features to avoid any loopholes.
3. Checking all the parts of the bike is also crucial before you choose one for the trip. Take a test ride to ensure before booking that the engine is working fine with no loose valves and bad bearings. Check the brakes whether they are strong enough to handle emergency stops. Ensure you have no cracks on tires and other crucial elements like headlights, self-starter etc. are working fine.
4. Enquire the mileage of the bike before you book one. The bike that provides below average mileage can prove to be a big blunder in your journey. Fuel for the bike will be at an additional cost to you so a mileage of at least 35-40 kms per litre can help you save some cash through your week long journey. Also, petrol pumps are scarce on some routes. Good mileage will be helpful to cover the distance worry-free to the next one.
5. Another major factor is the reliability and trust that you have from the company that you are hiring the bike from. You should be confident that the machine won’t die on you while riding. Check the background of the company and also notice what type of guarantees and warranties do they claim about the bike. Royal Enfield seems to be the best choice when it comes to riding in Leh Ladakh terrain.
6. Comfort, safety and reliability are three crucial factors to consider while hiring a bike for your trip. Because it’s not always about the looks of the bike at all. A well-equipped bike will boost your passion to ride in the daunting Himalayas in style.
7. People nowadays even prefer to ride on a cycle or motorbike for a Leh Ladakh road trip. So, basically, the model of the bike is not a major concern. However, your health at the time of travel is. You have to be mentally well prepared and physically fit before you step out for your day ride. You should be strong enough to drive through tough terrains and besides analyze the speed, time and distance of travel to avoid AMS (Altitude Mountain Sickness) because of the cold weather and low oxygen levels.
8. Some of the classic recommendations of stylish bikes that can be your trusted companions are Royal Enfield Bullet, Royal Enfield Classic 500, Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500, Royal Enfield Himalayan, Duke KTM 200. Besides that, there are other motorbike brands like Hero Impulse, Honda CBR, Kawasaki Versys, Bajaj Pulsar 220, which will give you confidence and comfort both.
This adventurous journey passes through some of the most beautiful locations and challenging roads. So, fasten your backpack and get ready to ride to the land of awe-inspiring mountains and stunning landscapes to experience the best bike trip in Leh Ladakh.