What’s the Deal with QuickBooks Error 15106 and How to Fix it
If you received QuickBooks error 15106 while downloading the latest QuickBooks update, it indicates you are not logged in as an administrator. You must have encountered the error with error messages displaying, “Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened” or “Error 15106: The update program is damaged.” Interference from an anti-virus application while updating QuickBooks can also cause the error. This blog is all about acquainting users with QuickBooks error 15106, its causes and solutions, so read carefully till the end.
If you need any technical assistance to resolve QuickBooks error 15106, then call us on our toll-free number 1-855-856-0042 and consult the QuickBooks technical support team
Recommended to Read :
What triggers QuickBooks error 15106?
The error comes up due to the following reasons:
- The user does not have admin rights.
- Incorrect firewall and security settings.
- UAC settings are inappropriate.
Now, scroll through the blog and choose the most appropriate solution to fix the error.
Quick Ways to Fix QuickBooks error 15106
The following troubleshooting steps will help you fix the error:
Step 1. Rename QuickBooks folder
- Open the Task Manager by tapping Ctrl + Shift +Esc key.
- Click on the Processes tab and search [ANTIVIRUS].exe.
- Choose End Process.
- Now, change the name of the QuickBooks update folder:
- Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows and E keys.
- Move to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
- By right-clicking the downloadXX folder, choose Rename.
- Add .old at the end of the folder name.
- Re-update QuickBooks.
If you still get the error, move on to the next solution.
Solution 2. Configure UAC settings
Follow the steps given below and turn off UAC:
- Look for the QuickBooks Desktop icon and right-click on it.
- Choose Open file location and tap the Backspace key once.
- Right-click the QuickBooks 20XX folder, where XX denotes the year.
- Choose Properties.
- Select the Security tab and select Edit, then Add.
- Select Everyone and then OK.
- Choose the Full Control option and click Apply.
- Now, repeat the two above steps but choose Users at the place of Everyone.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Within the search icon of the taskbar, write Control Panel and open it.
- Now, in the search, type UAC.
- Choose Change User Account Control.
- Turn off UAC by moving the slider towards Never Notify and click OK.
- Enter the password if prompted.
- Restart your computer.
This brings us to the end of this blog. We hope you find it helpful to resolve QuickBooks error 15106. If you face any trouble performing the steps, contact the certified QuickBooks expert’s team by dialing our helpline number 1-855-856-0042.