QuickBooks Unable To Backup Company File Error: How to Get Over it
Want to create a backup copy of the company file to avoid the risk of losing data in case the company file gets damaged, but every time you do it, QuickBooks unable to backup company file error pops up on the computer screen? If yes, make sure to read this down until the end to know why exactly it occurs and how you can get over it that too in layman’s language and step-wise manner. You might be seeing the following error message with the error pop-up: “QuickBooks was unable to back up your company file. QuickBooks could not create a disk image.”
Resolving QuickBooks unable to backup company file error can be pretty complicated. However, all it requires the right troubleshooting guide that you can get from our QuickBooks professionals at the toll-free number 800-583-0572.
What can be the reasons behind the existence of QuickBooks company file backup failed error?
Generally, QuickBooks company file backup failed error arises when the company file (.QBW) gets damaged or corrupted. Although, there can be other reasons also, like as follows:
- The .ND (Network Data) configuration file, which lets QuickBooks Desktop connect to the company file, is corrupted.
What are the best troubleshooting solutions for QuickBooks unable to backup company file error?
Solution 1) Run the verify and rebuild utility to repair the damaged company file
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and select the File menu at the top menu bar.
- From the drop-down menu, hover over the Utilities option.
- Select the Verify Data option from the Utilities side menu.
- Once the tool is done scanning the data, go back to the File menu.
- Hover over the Utilities option and select the Rebuild Data option from the side menu.
Note: QuickBooks will ask you to create a backup of the company file to avoid the risk of data loss. Therefore, if you want to back up the company file, select the OK button and follow the onscreen instructions. In case the backup fails, select the Cancel button at the rebuild prompt and proceed further.
- Once the tool shows you the following message: Rebuild has completed, select the OK button.
Solution 2) Rename the .ND (Network Data) configuration file
- Open the Windows Start menu, enter “File Explorer” into the search column, and select File Explorer from the search results.
- Navigate to the following path: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\
- QuickBooks\Company Files.
- In the folder, search for the .ND configuration file and right-click on it.
- Choose the Rename option.
- Add the text “.old” at the end of the filename.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop application and try to back up the company file.
If you get QuickBooks unable to backup company file error even after following all the troubleshooting solutions mentioned above in the post, then the QuickBooks Desktop version installed on the computer might have been outdated. Therefore, our suggestion for you is to update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release using the admin account and see whether this rectifies the error or not. You can also ask for additional troubleshooting assistance resolving the company file error from our QuickBooks professionals at the toll-free number 800-583-0572.