Oprah Winfrey American Actress Success Story | Inspirational Quotations
Oprah Winfrey was born on 29 January, 1954 in Kosciusko, Mississippi. Orpah Gail Winfrey is another name of Oprah Winfrey. Oprah Winfrey was awarded the presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama and honorary doctorate degrees from Harvard and Duke.
Who is Oprah Winfrey?
Oprah Winfrey is an American media proprietress, actress, talk show host, producer and philanthropist. Oprah Winfrey is best known for her talk show “The Oprah Winfrey Show”, which was the highest rated television program. Dubbed the “Queen of All Media”, she has been ranked the richest African-American, North America’s first multi billionaire black person and the greatest black philanthropist in American history.
Early Life of Oprah Winfrey:
Oprah Winfrey was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi, United States. Oprah’s mother is Vernita lee and biological father is Vernon Winfrey. Her unmarried parents were separated after she was born and left her on a farm with her grandmother. At the age of two and a half years old, she started learn to read under the guidance of her maternal grandmother. When Winfrey moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin with her mother, at age six, Winfrey was molested by one of her cousins, uncle and a family friend. At the age of 13, after suffering years of abuse, her mother then sent her to her father in Nashville. At the age of 14, she became pregnant but her son died shortly after birth. She promised herself to change and live a good life. Oprah began going to Lincoln High school, after early success in the Upward Bound program, she was transferred to the Nicolet High school.
Career Life of Oprah Winfrey:
At the age of 19, she started first job as a reporter on a radio station in Nashville. Immediately after she started the job, she was joined to Tennessee State University to further her profession in radio and television broadcasting. Oprah Winfrey won Miss Black Nashville and Tennessee in her first year in Tennessee state university. In 1978, Oprah Winfrey was able to host a TV show tagged “people are talking” in Baltimore. She won an Academy award for Steven Spielberg film due to her successful leading. In 1986 Oprah Winfrey started her show called Oprah Winfrey show. Oprah Winfrey established the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in Henley on Klip south of Johannesburg, South Africa.
Publishing and Writing:
Winfrey has co-authored books. At the announcement of a weight loss book in 2005, Autobiography of former U.S. President Bill Clinton, her memoir, The Life You Want, is scheduled for publication in 2017. O at Home and O, The Oprah Magazine are Winfrey’s published magazines.
Stedman Graham has been Oprah’s long-time love since 1986. In 1992, they were engaged to marry but the ceremony never happened.
- USA Today ranked Winfrey as the most influential
- and most influential black person of the previous quarter-century in 2007.
- Ladies Home Journal also ranked Winfrey number one in their list of the most powerful women in America.
- Winfrey became the first woman and first African American to top Entertainment Weekly's list of the 101 most powerful people in the entertainment industry in 1998.
- Forbes named her the world's most powerful celebrity in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2013.
- In 2008 she was named the most powerful woman in entertainment by The Hollywood Reporter.
- In 2014 she has also been listed as one of the most powerful 100 women in the world by Forbes, ranking fourteenth.
- In 1989, she was accepted into the NAACP Image Award Hall of Fame.
Amazing Quotations from Oprah Winfrey:
- "The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."
- "I know for sure that what we dwell on is who we become."
- "You've got to follow your passion. You've got to figure out what it is you love--who you really are. And have the courage to do that. I believe that the only courage anybody ever needs is the courage to follow your own dreams."
- "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
- "Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
- "You know you are on the road to success if you would do your job, and not be paid for it."
- "Turn your wounds into wisdom."
- "Where there is no struggle, there is no strength."
- "I've met a lot of people in my life, but I've never met anyone like this little boy, who seemed to come from another world."
- "Everyone has to learn to think differently, bigger, to open to possibilities."
- "My first day in Chicago, September 4, 1983. I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here."
- "I've decided I will open the door to all books as potential Oprah's Book Club selections, ... I feel this will give the book club a whole new range of opportunities to explore the world through words."
- "You cannot hate other people without hating yourself"
- "If all this happened to you what paradigm might you develop? How might that paradigm affect you in terms of your life from that point on? What does this tell you about Abe? There are no failures, only lessons to be learned."
- "I want to use television not only to entertain, but to help people lead better lives."
- "Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right."
- "I did send flowers and I did send a note"
- "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."
- "The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude."
- "Even the wildest dreams have to start somewhere. Allow yourself the time and space to let your mind wander and your imagination fly."
- "Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure."
- "Unless you choose to do great things with it, it makes no difference how much you are rewarded, or how much power you have"
- "I am a woman in process. I'm just trying like everybody else. I try to take every conflict, every experience, and learn from it. Life is never dull."
- "If you want to accomplish the goals of your life, you have to begin with the spirit."
- "The thing you fear most has no power. Your fear of it is what has the power. Facing the truth really will set you free."
- "Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you."
- "Think about any attachments that are depleting your emotional reserves. Consider letting them go."
- "After this trip I know these kids went home with happy memories to last a life time."
- "Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher."
- "I'm black, I don't feel burdened by it and I don't think it's a huge responsibility. It's part of who I am. It does not define me."
- "It's a combination of eating consciously, vigorous exercise and being comfortable in my body."
- "Matthew's search for stories of people that he could help led him to an abandoned hospital in New Orleans, ... Inside were beloved pets that families had been forced to leave behind during this evacuation. One man vowed to keep them alive. And Matthew went to help him."
- "When I look into the future, it's so bright it burns my eyes."
- "I think most of the people watching us around the world really don't understand the level of devastation that's going on, ... You have 11 million children in sub-Saharan Africa now suffering as orphans. ... They're AIDS orphans. What I realized is they're children left to take care of themselves."
- "If you come to fame not understanding who you are, it will define who you are "It's not sad for me. It's embarrassing and disappointing for me."
- "I do not believe in failure. It is not failure if you enjoyed the process."
- "A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself."
- "You are truly messed up. You really are, ... You are truly messed up."
- "Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness."
- "The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams."
- "This is the best ice cream I've ever tasted."
- "Dont back down just to keep the peace. Standing up for your beliefs builds self-confidence and self-esteem."
- "I feel you betrayed millions of readers."
- "If Oprah falls into the hands of Scientology, who can tell what influence she might have on the population? The prospect is terrifying."
- "I don't think of myself as a poor deprived ghetto girl who made good. I think of myself as somebody who from an early age knew I was responsible for myself, and I had to make good."
- "I believe that every single event in life happens in an opportunity to choose love over fear."
- "I feel duped. But more importantly, I feel that you betrayed millions of readers."
- "Every show you'll see here holds such profound meaning for me, ... I appreciate every hour our viewers spent watching us grow forward and now, through this DVD Collection, I can give back to the world by using its proceeds and the next twenty seasons of my life for what I know is my true calling -- to be of service to women, children and families in need around the world."
- "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."
- "The whole point of being alive is to evolve into the complete person you were intended to be."
- "[Friends say the actress has almost completely recovered from the breakup of her own marriage, and shows no enmity toward her ex's new love, Angelina Jolie.] I'm not sitting somewhere dwelling on the past or obsessing about the future, ... I don't want to be anywhere other than where I am right now."
- "Yes, yes, yes! Yes, you do."
- "We shall not be moved."
- "I've been doing this a long time and people have made donations and they've been very kind, but no one has ever given our Angel Network $1 million."
- "Until we rise up in the streets and change the laws in this country, this will continue to happen and every time it will be more heinous than the next."
- "Want to be good neighbors."
- "I just want to say shame on anybody for thinking that I was upset for not being able to get into a clothes store and buy a purse, ... Please, please."
- "Tis all a Checker-board of Nights and days where Destiny with Men for Pieces plays: Hither and thither moves, and mates and slays, and one by one back in the Closet lays."
- "And you altered things about yourself."