You are here
Jack Ma Alibaba Founder Success Story | Amazing Quotations
Jack Ma also known as Ma Yun was born on 10th September, 1964 in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China. He is the founder and executive chairman of Alibaba Group and he is the China’s richest man, as well as the moneyed person in Asia, with a net worth of US$46.9 billion, as of October 2017. He is one of the world’s most powerful people, and has been a global inspiration to many, giving innumerable lectures throughout his life career. Jack Ma got many awards.
Childhood and Early Life:
Jack Ma started to learn English at a young age and tried his best to communicate better in the language. He spent more time with native English speakers in a bid to gain a command over the language. Jack Ma took four years’ time to clear the Chinese entrance exams, which are held only once a year. He joined Hangzhou Teachers Institute and graduated with a B.A. in English in 1988. Ma became a lecturer of English at Hangzhou Dianzi University.
Jack Ma applied for different 30 jobs and he was rejected by all. In the mid 1990’s Jack came to know about the existence of the Internet. In 1995 Ma frequently visited United States with his friends to learn more about the Internet. He started first company for which he raised fund of $20000 in the same year. The purpose of the company was creating websites for business enterprises. The name of the company is “China Yellow Pages”. Within three years he earned USD 800,000. In 1998 Ma appointed as the head of a firm governed by the agency China International Electronic Commerce Center. In 1999 he founded Alibaba Company along with friends. During 1999-2000, Alibaba Company won $25 million. The company business shortly expanded to around 240 different nations. Jack ma wanted to improve the global e-commerce system and from 2003 he founded firms such as Taobao, Lynx and Ali Mama. Taobao gained majority in two years. In 2014 Alibaba company received excessive subscription of 26$ billion in an initial public offering on the New York stock exchange. Now Jack Ma is an executive chairman of Alibaba group, which has nine major subsidiaries: Tmall, eTao, Allibaba cloud computing, Alibaba.com, Juhuasuan, 1688.com, Taobao Marketplace, Alipay and AliExpress.com. In November 2012, Alibaba’s online transactions raised one trillion Yuan. In 2016 Ma is the owner of Chateau Guerry in Coates de Bourg, Cotes de Bordeaux, chateau Perenne in Blaye and Chateau de Sours in Bordeaux.
Awards and Achievements:
- China Central Television and its viewers selected Ma as one of the "Top 10 Business Leaders of the Year “in 2004.
- In 2005, he was named the ‘Businessperson of the Year’ by the ‘Business Week’ magazine and also featured in the list of ‘25 Most Powerful Businesspeople in Asia’.
- He received the CCTV Economic Person of the Year: Business Leaders of the Decade Award in 2009.
- Ma was selected by Forbes Asia as one of Asia’s Heroes of Philanthropy for his contribution to disaster relief and poverty in 2010.
- In November 2013, Jack Ma was awarded an honorary doctoral degree by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- In 2014, he was ranked as the 30th most powerful person in the world in an annual ranking published by Forbes.
- Asian Award honored him with the Entrepreneur of the Year award in 2015.
- Fortune ranked Ma second on its World's 50 Greatest Leaders list in 2017.
- A KPMG survey ranked Ma third in global tech innovation visionary survey in 2017.
Personal Life and Legacy:
Jack Ma Inspirational Quotes:
- “You need the right people with you, not the best people.”
- ‘Today is hard, tomorrow will be worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine.”
- “We’re never in lack of money. We lack people with dreams, (people) who can die for those dreams.”
- “If the customer loves you, the government will have to love you.”
- “If you don’t give up, you still have a chance. Giving up is the greatest failure.”
- “No matter how tough the chase is, you should always have the dream you saw on the first day. It’ll keep you motivated and rescue you.”
- “If you’ve never tried, how will you ever know if there’s any chance?”
- “Help young people. Help small guys. Because small guys will be big. Young people will have the seeds you bury in their minds, and when they grow up, they will change the world.”
- “You’ve got to make your team have value, innovation and vision.”
- “I try to make myself happy because I know that if I’m not happy, my colleagues are not happy and my shareholders are not happy and my customers are not happy.”
- “When you are small, you have to be very focused and rely on your brain, not your strength.”
- “The world will not remember what you say, but it will certainly not forget what you have done.”
- “You should learn from your competitor but never copy. Copy and you die.”
- “I don’t want people to have deep pockets but shallow minds.”
- “When KFC came to China, 24 people went for the job, 23 people were accepted – I was the only guy.”
- “If you don’t do it, nothing’s possible.”
- “If you want to grow, find a good opportunity. Today, if you want to be a great company, think about what social problem you could solve.”
- “Today, making money is very simple. But making sustainable money while being responsible to the society and improving the world is very difficult.”
- “A leader should have higher grit and tenacity, and be able to endure what the employees can’t.”
- “It’s very difficult to know the outside world, but you know yourself. You know your need and what you want. If I know myself better, I can change myself to meet the outside world.”
- “A leader should never compare his technical skills with his employees.”
- “I call myself a blind man riding on a blind tiger.”
- “If you want to win in the 21st century, you have to empower others, making sure other people are better than you are. Then you will be successful.”
- “You never know how much can you do in your life.”
- “Never ever do business with the government. Be in love with them, never marry them.”
- “You never know that the things you’re doing are the meaningful to society.”
- “If we are good team and know what we want to do, one of us can defeat ten of them.”
- “Never ever compete on prices, instead compete on services and innovation.”
- “We should never finish a 20-year program in two years.”
- “Opportunities lies in the place where the complaints are.”
- “We appreciate yesterday, but we’re looking for a better tomorrow.”
- “In carrying out e-commerce, the most important thing is to keep doing what you are doing right now with passion, to keep it up.”
- “If there are nice rabbits on the ground and if you want to catch one, just focus on one.”
- “Once in your life, try something. Work hard at something. Try to change, nothing bad can happen.”
- “We will make it because, we are young and we will never, never give up.”
- “Life is so short, so beautiful. Don’t be so serious about work. Enjoy the lives.”
- “A peace talk is always difficult, always complicated.”
- “If you’re Poor At 35, You Deserve It.”
- “If we go to work at 8 a.m. and go home at 5 p.m., this is not a high-tech company and Alibaba will never be successful. If we have that kind of 8-to-5 spirit, then we should just go and do something else.”
- “A real businessman or entrepreneur has no enemies. Once he understands this, then sky’s the limit.”
- “No matter how successful you are in your career, you must always remember that we are here to live. keep yourself busy working, you will surely regret it.”