You are here
Indian Institute of Technologies in India (For Higher education) | IIT India
IIT India, Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) are regarded as educational institutions of the highest supreme standard in India as well as abroad. All IITs are governed by the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961. Each IIT has individual autonomous power and is linked to others through a common IIT Council for their administration.
Locations of Indian Institutes of Technology:
In total, 23 Indian Institute of Technology centres have been established as of now :
1. Kharagpur (IIT), established 1951, West Bengal.http://iitkgp.ac.in/
2. Bombay (IIT), established 1951, Maharastra.http://www.iitb.ac.in/
3. Kanpur (IIT), established 1959, Uttar Pradesh.http://iitk.ac.in/
4. Madras (IIT), established 1959, Tamil Nadu.https://www.iitm.ac.in/
5. Delhi (IIT), established 1963, Delhi.http://www.iitd.ac.in/
6. Guwahati (IIT), established 1994, Assam.http://www.iitg.ac.in/
7. Roorkee (IIT), established 2001, Uttarakhand.http://www.iitr.ac.in/
8. Bhubaneswar (IIT), established 2008, Odisha.http://www.iitbbs.ac.in/
9. Gandhinagar (IIT), established 2009, Gujarat.http://www.iitgn.ac.in/
10. Hyderabad (IIT), established 2008, Telangana.http://www.iith.ac.in/
11. Jodhpur(IIT), established 2008, Rajasthan.http://iitj.ac.in/
12. Patna (IIT), established 2008, Bihar.http://iitp.ac.in/
13. Ropar (IIT), established 2008, Punjab.http://www.iitrpr.ac.in/
14. Indore (IIT), established 2009, Madhya Pradesh.http://iiti.ac.in/
15. Mandi (IIT), established 2009, Himachal Pradesh.https://www.iitmandi.ac.in/
16. Varanasi (IIT), established 2012, Uttar Pradesh.http://iitbhu.ac.in/
17. Palghat (IIT), established 2015, Kerala.http://turing.iitpkd.ac.in/iitpkd/
18. Tirupati (IIT), established 2015, Andhra Pradesh.http://iittp.ac.in/
19. Dhanbad (IIT), established 2016, Jharkhand.http://www.iitb.ac.in/en/iit-dharwad
20. Bhilai (IIT), established 2016, Chatisgarh.http://www.iitbhilai.ac.in/
21. Goa (IIT), established 2016, Goa.http://www.iitb.ac.in/en/iit-goa
22. Jammu (IIT), established 2016, Jammu and Kashmir.http://iitjammu.ac.in/
23. Dharwad (IIT), established 2016, Karnataka.http://www.iitb.ac.in/en/iit-dharwad
IIT centres will get huge grants from Indian government. Indian government is committed to encourage students to undertake in-depth studies and valued research programs at IIT. IIT research programs are very unique and innovations. Research programs have multiple MoU from all over the world.
IIT India rankings:
Outlook India's Top Engineering Colleges of 2015 ranked seven IITs in its top 10, including the top 6 positions.
Worldwide however, the highest ranked IIT (IIT Delhi) is ranked at 179 in the QS World University Rankings of 2015.
As per the QS World University Rankings of 2016-2017, among all, only IIT Madras has entered into the global top 250 after a five-place rise.
The ranking of the remaining institutes are -- IIT Delhi was ranked at 185 place for 2016-17 while it was 179 last year, IIT Bombay at 219 (last year 202), IIT Kanpur 302 (271), IIT Kharagpur 313 (286), IIT Roorkee 399 (391) and IIT Guwahati in the 481-490 band against the 451-460 band last year.
Degrees Offered By IIT India:
B.E. / B.Tech., Master of Technology (MTech),
Master of Business Administration (MBA), and Master of Science (MSc).
Some IITs offer specialized graduate programmes such as Master of Design (M.Des.),
The Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT),
Master in Medical Science and Technology (MMST),
Master of City Planning (MCP), Master of Arts (MA),
Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law (PGDIPL),
Postgraduate Diploma in Maritime Operation & Management (PGDMOM).
The IITs also offer an unconventional BTech and MTech integrated educational program called "Dual Degree”.
The IITs also offer the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
IIT India Admission process:
The Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) is a common admission test for students seeking admission to undergraduate programmes of all IITs and ISM Dhanbad.
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India Examination conducted by all the IITs and IISc to identify meritorious and motivated candidates for admission to Post-graduate programmes in Engineering, Technology, Architecture and Pharmacy at National level.
The Joint Admission Test for MSc (JAM) is an all India examination conducted to provide admissions to various M. Sc. (Two Year) / M. Sc.-Ph. D. Dual Degree and other post-B. Sc. programmes. Based on the performance in a single test and consolidate 'Science' as a career option for bright students from across the country.
The Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) is an admission test for 5 year integrated Masters of Arts (M.A) degree programme.
Student Life In IITs, India:
All the IITs provide on-campus residential facilities to the students, research scholars and faculty. The students live in hostels throughout their stay in the IIT. Students in all IITs must choose among National Cadet Corps (NCC), National Service Scheme (NSS) and National Sports Organization (NSO) in their first years. All the IITs have sports grounds for basketball, cricket, football (soccer), hockey, volleyball, lawn tennis, badminton, and athletics; and swimming pools for aquatic events.
IIT India alumni:
NR Narayana Murthy (INFOSYS)
Rajendra S Pawar (NITT)
Vinog Khosla (Sun Microsystems)
Ajit Gupta (Aryaka)
Anurag Dikshit (PartyGaming)
Rajat Gupta (McKinsey)
Nikesh Arora (SIMI)
Sundar Pichai (Google)
Vic Gundotra (Google)
Arun Sarin (Vodafone)
Padmasree Warrior (Cisco systems)