Best way to Sleep with Melatonin Supplement
Melatonin works as a circadian rhythm and makes you feel sleepy when it’s dark, but what is the best way to Sleep with Melatonin Supplement?
Today, I am going to tell you what is the best way to sleep with Melatonin Supplement
What is Melatonin Used for?
You should always follow your doctor's prescription properly and be careful if you have been prescribed Melatonin.
Generally, a doctor prescribes 2mg tablets, and this helps in releasing Melatonin gradually into your body during the night. It's very important to follow the instructions carefully as this might have side effects too, and therefore your doctor will only tell you to take melatonin 2 or 3 times a week and not every night.
Usually, you take Melatonin for just a few weeks; however, sometimes, it is prescribed for up to 13 weeks.
Side effects of Melatonin
Although significantly fewer people are prone to the side effects of Melatonin but some severe side effects are:
- Start feeling low or sad.
- Blurry vision or your eyes becoming more watery than usual.
- Feel faint or pass out.
- Start feeling confused or dizzy, or vertigo.
- Bleeding that does not stop, strange bruising or blood in the urine.
- Severe allergic reactions like:
- Skin rashes that may include itchy, red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin.
- Tightness in the chest or throat.
- Trouble in breathing.
- Your mouth, tongue, face, lips, or throat start swelling.
You should tell your doctor if you find out any such side effects in your body, and you should also be careful if you are consuming Melatonin along with any herbal remedies as this might cause more drowsiness.
Melatonin supplement helps in sleep problems when your body fails to get enough signals about the time to sleep and wake.
There are two forms of Melatonin, one is synthetic, or man-made and the other one is natural, which comes from the glands of animals. You should always choose the synthetic version as the natural type can have viruses that can make you sick.
It should be clearly mentioned on the product’s label, but ask a pharmacist or a doctor before you take it if you are not sure.
The FDA regulates Melatonin like dietary supplements are regulated, so it is very important to know that they are not prescribed the same as prescription drugs.
How much to take?
The best dosage depends on the sleep issue you are having and trying to solve.
- If you are dealing with jet lag, then you should take the dose once you arrive at your destination, the time when you are likely to go to bed. Some studies say that Melatonin is best when you are traveling east, and it might not adjust to westward travel.
- If you work the night shift, you should take it at the end of your workday and never before driving back home.
How do you get the best results?
When you take the Melatonin supplement, just make sure you don’t get affected by the artificial light.
After taking the supplements, you should:
- Avoid your phone and other devices.
- Turn off overhead lights in the evening.
- Bright light in the morning.
Once you decide to take Melatonin, discuss with your doctor and talk to him thoroughly about your problems and conditions and then start taking it once it is prescribed by your doctor and be careful to ask your doctor that how it can affect other medications you take.
Melatonin helps you to fall asleep easily and makes your possibilities less to wake up in the night. It helps in dealing with problems in adults above 55 years or above. However, it is not suitable for all people as it might have side effects.
Related Post: Melatonin for Sleep