Cycling | Mountain Bike | Bicycle | Bike Race Tips | Racing Bike | Road Bike
Cycling is considered as one of the best physical exercises among brisk walking, jogging etc. Cycling is advised for relatively younger people who can endure more dynamic activities. Here we give valuable tips to reach desired cycling speed. These all are simple ways to boost your cycling performance.
It is normally believed that the cycle wheels can influence cycling speed. Hence, before buying bicycle, make a comparative study between different kinds of models.
- If you race on the flat courses you may select bicycles with wheels of less weight and smooth button carbon.
- If you race mainly on hilly terrains, then consider to select a deep-dish carbon with stronger wheels.
- Keep your seat at suitable heights otherwise it may impact your cycling comfort and speed. Even you will feel tired much before reaching your target distance within the stipulated time.
There are two approaches to produce greater speed on the bike: push bigger gears or increase your cadence.
- If you tend to have relatively slow leg turnover on the bike, try to set your rpm (round per minute) slightly above the normal speed. It can dramatically increase your power and speed. Even you can see your good results in weight loss.
- If you feel weakness, you may find yourself gravitating back and a lower tempo.
- Fast pedal drills and one-legged pedaling drills will help you develop a faster and more efficient pedal stroke.
- You can do interval cycling to get more speed and less tired. Fast pedal intervals last between three and 10 minutes at a cadence above 100 rpm.
- These intervals can lessen your cycling period and conserve physical stamina. Even you can avoid neuromuscular endurance.
Intervals For Winning Races:
As all we know there is no substitute for good practice. Acquire good physical strength by relentless practice and learn more about all key elements for successful results. If your goal is to be fast in major participating events, then you should study the course profile and train specifically for the unique demands of each race. If you are preparing for an Olympic-distance event with rolling hills and wind, seek out training routes similar to the race course.
Once you've found the best training route, conduct a set of 2 x 20-minute intervals at maximum pace. You can do cycling 40K time-trial speed. The average speed you can attain for each 20-minute session closely correlates to your current 40K race pace.
Nutrition For Cycling:
No other thing will slow you down more than dehydration and/or glycogen reduction. Drinking more water and refueling practices before, during and after training will allow you to train at higher levels. In his book Food for Fitness, Chris Carmichael discussed the valuable guidelines for optimal day-to-day training.
You should not lose more than 2 percent of body weight during training or competitive races due to fluid loss. A 2-percent loss in body weight can decrease athletic performance by about 10 to 15 percent and performance drops off even more rapidly as additional fluid is lost.
One to four hours prior to training, you should take in 0.5 to two grams of carbohydrate per pound of body weight. This will allow you to enter a training session with your rank topped up.
During workouts, 30 to 60 grams of carbohydrates (ingested either in solid or liquid form) will prolong your ability to perform at your best during training or competition.
Cycling R and R (Reestablishment and Regaining):
Cycle practice should start at slower speeds and by doing practice you can increase cycle speed in future gradually.
But keep notice that to race fast, your duty is to get trained first and that requires you to execute your key speed workouts systematically.
On recovery days, resist riding with a group since the average pace will often be greater than your recovery pace. Ride solo and keep your heart rate in your recovery range.
Other elements that can help you to recover fast include sleep, relaxation, flexibility, hydration and refueling.
Speed involves more than simply including anaerobic intervals in your training schedule. Focus on proper practice and execution of quality training principles will allow you to boost your speed.